The purpose of email discussions is to share information about medicines and practice in NSW public hospitals. NSW TAG members are encouraged to respond to email discussion requests for information. However, it should be noted that information is only a current snapshot at the time the response is sent. The responses received are only representative of the hospitals participating in the discussion at the time (which may be small depending on the topic) and do not indicate a complete picture of current practices. It is recommended that email discussion topics are regularly brought to the attention of DTC meetings as they are likely to facilitate discussion of contemporary and emerging medicines and practice.
Open email discussions
Please provide email discussion responses to NSW TAG
Request for translated COVID-19 medicines information leaflets and consent forms
Unfortunately, to date, we have been unsuccessful in achieving centralised translations of the patient information sheets and consent forms for various COVID-19 medicines. The Ministry recommended that hospitals contact their multicultural services team for assistance with translations into the languages required for their catchment area. To avoid duplicated activity in already over-stretched services, NSW TAG would be grateful if any forms/leaflets that are translated could be sent to us so we can provide them on our COVID-19 resources webpage for all NSW Hospitals’ use.
Please email any translated NSW TAG resources to NSW TAG
Issues related to patient self-funding of medicines?
At the last TAG General meeting, we discussed the issue of patient self-funding of medicines. NSW TAG developed a discussion paper in 2016 and we would like to understand current practice with respect to this issue and whether the discussion paper should be updated.
We would be grateful if DTCs could inform us of any gaps/issues not addressed by the discussion paper and/or share locally developed frameworks to assist with the update.
Please respond to NSW TAG by COB 9th August 2021.
Completed email discussions webpage here (members only).
Access to completed email discussions is only available to NSW TAG members. Please note, members should not share or pass on identifiable information to non-NSW TAG members. Non-NSW TAG members who are interested in an email discussion topic may obtain de-identified email discussions by contacting NSW TAG at firstname.lastname@example.org
A list of the recently completed email discussions is shown below.
Recently Completed Email Discussions
- COVID-19 Vaccine reagent testing
- Problematic access to National Blood Authority products for non-approved indications
- Clinical training in medication safety (for accreditation purposes)
- Consent for use hazardous medicines in non-cancer conditions
- Impact of NSW Health PD 2005_395 Drugs-Funding Arrangements for Outpatient Use of High Cost Drugs Not Funded by the Commonwealth
- Hospital use of paracetamol products
- Access to anticoagulation (e.g. fondaparinux) for VITT management
- Guidelines for Opioid Stewardship and Choice of Opioids used in Pain Management (acute & chronic)
- HYDROmorphone standard and potential development of tools
- Preparation and administration of small paediatric doses of enoxaparin
- Safe use of Fleet enema
- Oral budesonide provision to outpatients
- Evidence of non-pharmacist medication review during hospitalisation
- Issues and practice points to include in a Sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitor (SGLT2i) standard or consensus statement
- Anaesthetic failures with bupivacaine
- Oral paediatric phenobarbitone & diazepam products
- Availability of medical grade freezers and storage of Cervagem
- Familiarity with use of NSMC during downtime
- Life Saving Drug Register (LSDR) feedback
- Use of aromatherapy in active labour
- Use of brentuximab
- Formulary Status of IR Tapentadol
Click here to access the email discussions running list of topics (last updated 1/07/2021).
Click here to access the completed email discussions page (members only).
Page last updated 29 July 2021