On this page you will find resources and implementation tools to promote good sleep and reduce harm from inappropriate pharmacologic management of sleep disturbance and insomnia in hospitalised patients.
Guidance, resources and implementation tools
‘Getting it right for sleep at night: Guidance for promoting sleep and reducing harm from inappropriate pharmacologic management of sleep disturbance and insomnia in hospitalised patients’ Full guidance document (including scenarios)
- Pathways for managing sleep disturbance/insomnia in non-critically ill hospitalised adults
- Managing sleep checklist [link]
- Table of system-wide non-pharmacological interventions to promote sleep in hospital [link]
- Summary poster and checklist [link]
- Quick guide: question and answer tool about medicines for sleep [link]
- Patient/consumer information booklet: Sleeping in hospital [link] (print double-sided for booklet format)
- Summary table of useful sleep resources for healthcare professionals and patients/carers [link]
- Summary of adverse effects of benzodiazepines and Z-drugs [link]
- Acceptable indications for listing benzodiazepines on the hospital formulary [link]
- Clinical indicators (see section 17 of full guidance document)
Whilst the information contained in the documents on this website have been presented with all due care, NSW TAG does not warrant or represent that the information is free from errors or omission. Changes in circumstances after publication may impact on the accuracy of the information. The information provided should not be regarded as a substitute for detailed expert advice in individual cases. To the fullest extent permitted by law, NSW TAG disclaims all liability for any loss, damage, or injury resulting from reliance on, or use of the information contained in these publications.
Page last updated 21 December 2021